Our History

Many of the settlers in the summer colony of Hancock Point during the late 19th and early 20th centuries were highly educated professors, ministers or doctors with an intellectual bent. Their numbers were briefly augmented by students from Princeton and Phillips Exeter Academy attending academic summer camps.

So it wasn’t long before the community created a library and, in 1914, found a home for it in a curious, dark green octagonal building that is now of great historical and architectural interest. A team of horses and men moved it on rollers a hundred yards or so from its original site to the other side of the road.

Thus a private home built by the son of a country doctor who had made a fortune hawking a cure-all laced with opium, turpentine, ether and alcohol, became a public resource—entertaining, edifying and addictive but entirely legal–that residents of Hancock Point and Hancock have enjoyed for a 110 summers and counting.